Valentine's Butter Cookies
From our Kitchen at Shepherds Run
Valentine's Butter Cookies with Strawberry Filling
FOR BAKING PREPARATION:
Egg wash; 1 egg + 2 tbsp water, beaten until incorporated
Cookie Cutters; one larger and one smaller. Think large and medium, you want a bite of jam in each bite you take.
- Sift all dry ingredients together
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter on medium speed. Add dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla and almond extract, and eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of mixing bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated. Mix until dough forms, 2-3 minutes.
- Separate dough into two, 1 inch thick disks. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and let sit for 5 minutes. Flour your counter surface and roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thick. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Use the larger cookie cutter to cut out two cookies. With the smaller cutter, cut out the center of one cookie, leaving one whole cookie and one cookie with the center removed. Brush the egg was on the whole cookie, and layer the cookie with the center removed on top. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and fill your cookies with 1 tsp of jam (more or less depending on your cutter size). Repeat until you have used all of your dough. You will find that you have quite a few tiny hearts left behind - fear not - sprinkle some sugar and bake for a little sweet treat!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, and move to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners sugar once cooled, and enjoy!
Store airtight, do not refrigerate.